Nelson Historical Society Journal Volume 8 No.4 2018
The Nelson Historical Society was formed in 1954. Its prime objective was the collection of archival material relating to the history of the northern part of the South Island. A further aim was to encourage research, and it held public meetings at which talks were given on aspects of Nelson history. In 1955 it was decided to publish these talks in a journal.
The first issue of the Journal of the Nelson Historical Society Incorporated was published in November 1955 with James Paterson as the editor. The succeeding five issues of Volume One appeared between 1957 and 1964. Conditions for the inclusion of material were formalised in 1959, with only original material to be accepted.
In 1981 the Marlborough Historical Society joined the enterprise and the title changed to Journal of the Nelson and Marlborough Societies. Two volumes were published between 1981 and 1995, with Dawn Smithbecoming editor in 1986.
The Marlborough Historical Society withdrew in 1996 and the title became the Nelson Historical Society Journal, with publication continuing as copy becomes available.
Although most textual content in this project is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand license, permission from the owner or copyright holder must be obtained to re-use any images reproduced in the Journals. Requests for the re-use of any images should be directed in the first instance to The New Zealand Electronic Text Collection